• Bradley White

United win again to maintain perfect start

Uhlsport UCL Premier North:

Long Eaton Utd 3

A Marshall 30, J Walker 47, Shaw 81

Melton Town 0

Long Eaton made it back-to-back home clean sheets this season as they put on a stellar display to beat Melton Town 3-0 at Grange Park - maintaining their 100 per cent record in the process.

Alex Marshall scored the only goal of the first half, a delicate dink over the keeper that took the striker's goal tally to five goals in five games so far this season.

After going three matches without a goal, Jamie Walker netted in superb fashion mid-way through the second half, before substitute James Shaw slotted home late to round off proceedings.

James Shaw nets the third against Melton. Photo: Long Eaton Utd FC.

Ian Deakin made one change to the side that beat Shepshed Dynamo last weekend, with James Taylor coming into the starting XI ahead of the absent James Gale.

Melton came out of the blocks the quicker of the two sides and it was Sam Muggleton who had the first real chance only two minutes into the match. Corey Buccalossi floated a free-kick from the right straight onto the head of the left-back, however, a slightly weak effort allowed Sam Wilson to gather comfortably.

Zak Munton had another chance for the visitors minutes later when a lofted corner was cleared only as far as Jordon Lever, who attempted a low driven volley, but it was controlled inside the box by the forward and it could have put the visitors ahead, if not for the defending attributes of Alex Marshall.

The visitors’ dominant start was short-lived and Long Eaton soon found their stride. Keiran Walker once again caused mayhem with his dangerous long throw-in as he picked out Romaine Graham in the box, but Melton dealt with the header and cleared only as far as Tom Marshall, who volleyed the ball just over the bar.

After a well-battled and fairly even period, it was the Blues that scored the opener in the 33rd minute. A brilliant over the top through ball was gathered beyond the defence by Alex Marshall and dinked over the committed Bill Harrison to put Long Eaton ahead.

Kameron Campbell had a chance to double the Blues’ lead a few minutes later when a delicate flick from Alex Marshall sent the forward one-on-one with the keeper, although Harrison did well to deny the second, before play was subsequently brought back for an offside decision.

Long Eaton looked to counter Melton’s high line, as Sam Parker picked out Jamie Walker with a cross-field pass from the half-way line to the edge of the box - that pass was controlled by the winger in mid-air on the turn with his chest before thumping a half-volley in off the crossbar inside the keepers near post.

Keiran Walker looked to work another chance after the break – a missile of a throw that could not be dealt with by the Melton defence fell to James Taylor and on the half volley the midfielder struck the ball towards goal, only for it to be cleared off the line by Leon Fray.

The visitors could have pulled one back when Spencer Weir-Daley’s long throw on 76 minutes met the head of Melton’s captain Fray and flew towards the far post – but thankfully over it and out of play.

Substitute Shaw netted the Blues’ third and final goal in the 81st minute. A determined Campbell set out to hunt the ball down in the opponents’ defence, which resulted in the forward snatching the ball off the centre back and playing some neat passes with Micah Jebbison, before the ball finally fell to Shaw, who almost tripped but managed to poke the ball home.