• Mark Duffy

Troke's penalty is the difference as Ilkeston progress in FA Cup

FA Cup Preliminary Round

Quorn 1

Shodunke 14

Ilkeston Town 2

Wakefield 13, Troke 68pen

Ilkeston Town are into the FA Cup first qualifying round after overcoming United Counties League side Quorn on Saturday.

The margin of victory should perhaps have been bigger, Quorn goalkeeper Max Culverwell putting in an outstanding display to keep the score down, although the hosts were equally frustrated on several occasions in front of goal.

But ultimately it was the Robins who avoided the potential banana skin to progress through and they'll now travel to Halesowen Town in the first qualifying round on September 4.

Martin Carruthers made several changes to the side that had lost to Sporting Khalsa on Tuesday night and his team had the first opening ten minutes in when a good move through the middle saw Charlie Wakefield send Jack Rogers down the left and he cut in before hitting a low shot which keeper Culverwell got down to push away.

But the opener came three minutes later when James Carvell did well down the right and laid the ball back for Wakefield six yards out and he couldn’t miss.

Jack Rogers beats his man. Photo by Lee Prewett.

Just a minute later, however, Quorn were level with a corker. Leke Shodunke had been lively early on and he played a one=two on the edge of the penalty area before curling an effort wide of Ross Durrant and into the top corner.

Luke Varney then saw Durrant tip an effort wide, as did Aman Verma at the other end as the game continued to produce lots of chances.

Alex Troke was next, his low strike held by Culverwell, then Kyle Bryant headed just too high after Ilkeston hadn’t cleared a corner.

Rogers shot straight at Culverwell after another good Ilkeston break, then Wakefield saw an effort deflected just over the top after Rashaan Francis’s cross found him at the back post.

As half-time approached, Stern Irvine’s shot was pushed away again by Culverwell who had enjoyed a good half, the break arriving with the sides unable to be separated.

Varney had the first chance of the second-half, cutting in before shooting low at Durrant, then Nathan Dale’s free-kick was just too high from 25 yards out.

The Robins got the lead on 68 and it was from the penalty spot, as sub Zak Goodson was sent clear down the inside right and cut back to his left foot but in doing so was brought down by Jurelle Phillip, who was booked. Up stepped Troke and he sent the keeper the wrong way with the spot kick.

Billy Bennett forced Culverwell into another save low down moments later as the Robins looked to turn the screw, Goodson then breaking again to see a shot saved low down with Carvell’s follow up impressively tipped over by the Quorn stopper who was having an excellent game.

Carvell was close again with a curler on 85 which went just past the post, while Durrant had to be alert to block Matt Dawson’s strike in stoppage time as the hosts pushed forward in search a leveller that ultimately wouldn’t come, although a late challenge on Dawson saw the referee turn down appeals for a penalty that left the hosts arguing the case long after the final whistle.

Quorn: Culverwell, Bryant, Oshungbare, Bal, Cullingworth (O'Neill 81), Dawson, Dale, Varney, Mangondoza, Shodunke, Phillip.

Subs not used: Clibbens, Phipps, Auld, Blades, Chilaka, McGuinn

Ilkeston: Durrant, Francis (Bennett 46), Tait, Wakefield, Irvine, Fenton, Carvell, Verma, Rogers (Goodson 60), Troke (Campbell 83), Reid.

Subs not used: Stainsby, Maguire, Brown-Hill.