• Mark Duffy

Ten-man Robins fight back to overcome Chasetown

IIlkeston Town defied being a goal down and then having a man sent off to beat Chasetown 2-1 at the New Manor Ground on Tuesday night.

Joe Maguire's winner came minutes after the Robins' James Reid had been red carded after an hour of the game, Ilkeston eventually seeing the game out against a Chasetown side with plenty of attacking intent but lacking the quality needed to punish the hosts on the night.

It all meant a good response to last week's defeats to Newcastle Town and Hartlepool United, the Robins' league form back on track as they continue their push for promotion this season.

Maguire saw an early shot blocked by Chasetown keeper Curtis Pond after the visitors had failed to clear a corner, then Ollie Brown-Hill took a touch too many when played in by Zak Goodson and saw his eventual shot parried away.

Maguire headed straight at Pond from another Robins corner as Ilkeston created the better early chances, but 33 minutes in it would be Chasetown who would take the lead with their first clear chance.

Delarno Reid found space dow the right and his cross was met six yards out by Connor Haddaway who headed down and into the corner of the net.

Ilkeston responded with Goodson being sent in on goal four minutes before the break but Pond did well to block his shot with his legs and out for a corner.

Ilkeston celebrate Alex Troke's (left) equaliser. Photo by Lee Prewett.

The break would then arrive with the home fans frustrated not to have seen their side make more of their opportunities.

They did just that three minutes into the second-half, although the equaliser came with perhaps an element of luck as Alex Troke's chip to the back post from the right hand edge of the six yard box dropped into the far corner of the net to bring the teams level.

Charlie Marzano nearly scored another fortunate goal soon afterwards but his low ball in only just drifted past the far post.

The Robins challenge was made tougher on the hour when Reid was shown a straight red card for a robust challenge on Chasetown's Zack Foster. Reid looked to have won the ball and it didn't look high, but the nature of the tackle clearly upset the referee who sent him for an early shower.

Troke put a free-kick just wide soon afterwards, but the ten men would soon lead through an unlikely source.

Brown-Hill floated a free-kick in from out wide on the right which was deep to the back post and Maguire was on hand to volley home from close range.

Chances then dried up entirely for both sides despite the visitors putting a degree of pressure on with little joy, as the Robins defended well to defend a lead they wouldn't surrender and the three points were eventually theirs.

Ilkeston: Durrant, Bryant (Wilson 66), Bennett, Thomas, Maguire, Bertram, Goodson (Lee 77), Brown-Hill, Troke, Marzano, Reid.

Not used: Tait, Render, Stainsby.

Chasetown: Pond, Melbourne, Foster (Cooke 81), Taylor, Wynter, Hayward, Kirton, Haddaway, Butlin, O'Callaghan, Reid (Berry 71)

Not used: Evans, Riley-Stewart, Curtis.