• Holly Bacon

Storming Spireites are too good for Moors

Chesterfield put another three points on the board with a 1-0 victory over Solihull Moors in a game made more challenging due to the snow.

The hard work of volunteers and ground staff to make the pitch playable mirrored in the team’s performance as Chesterfield deservedly came out on top.

James Rowe made four changes to the side that progressed in the FA Trophy two weeks previous. Joel Taylor and Curtis Weston returned to the side along with strike partners Akwasi Asante and Tom Denton.

The away side came out of the blocks and asked questions of Chesterfield early on.

Cameron Archer drove towards goal and found Joe Sbarra on his right whose effort was kept out by Kyle Letheren and eventually cleared by Will Evans.

In the 11th minute a great ball over the top was looking for Sbarra but Letheren came off his line quickly to head away, colliding with the Moors' number seven in the process. The pair received treatment and were deemed fine to continue.

A few minutes later Archer latched onto a through ball but flashed his effort the wrong side of the post.

However, Chesterfield managed to weather the Moors storm and had a great chance to take the lead themselves just after the half hour. Goalkeeper Ryan Boot’s clearance fell to Denton but Boot did well to get down and keep the strike out with his legs.

The Spireites got their noses in front on the edge of half-time. The ball fell to the feet of Tom Whelan just outside the penalty area who slotted past Boot into the bottom corner.

In the early stages of the second-half Denton flicked onto Asante who was proving a handful but the Solihull backline did well to divert the ball from danger.

The away side had their first shot on target in the 67th minute through Jamey Osbourne but Letheren in the Spireites goal claimed it comfortably.

Tom Whelan (left) celebrates scoring the winner. Photo: Derbyshire Times.

James Shan’s men did enjoy a lot of the ball but couldn’t find their way through a resilient Spireites defence.

Ten minutes later Haydn Hollis nearly doubled his side’s lead when Taylor’s free-kick found his head at the far post but the central defender couldn’t get the right connection on the ball and saw his header loop over the upward.

Moors came closest to levelling when Sbarra's effort whistled inches past the post.

With 82 minutes on the clock, Chesterfield were forced down to ten men when George Carline saw a second yellow card for an accumulation of fouls.

But Rowe’s men managed to see out the remainder of normal time plus five minutes of additional time to secure a huge three points and continue their unbeaten run under their new boss.

Chesterfield: (3-5-2): Evans, Hollis, Maguire; Carline, McCourt (Smith 74'), Whelan (Mandeville 70'), Weston, Taylor; Asante, Denton (Yarney 84')

Unused substitutes: Rowley, Boden.