• DerbyshireFootball

Saturday round-up: Agony for Rams, Robins win cup derby

A round-up of the action involving our clubs down to step five that played on Saturday, September 3.

Derby County surrendered a two-goal lead at Pride Park on Saturday as Plymouth Argyle turned the game around to win 3-2 thanks to a last-gasp winner.

James Collins had put Derby in front on 26 minutes after being set up by David McGoldrick, then, after Jason Knight had cleared Joe Edwards' shot off the line, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing beat two defenders and drilled home his third goal of the season on 38 minutes.

Former Ram Morgan Whittaker pulled one back on 56 minutes from close range before sub Sam Cosgrove levelled on 77 as he turned in Niall Ennis's sliced shot.

Then Cosgrove won the game in stoppage time as Cosgrove scored from a tight angle after breaking down the right.

Match highlights:

Chesterfield scored twice in the first eight minutes to win 2-0 at Oldham Athletic and go top of the National League.

An error by goalkeeper Magnus Norman presented Joe Quigley with the opener in the first minute, before Calvin Miller set up Jeff King for the second seven minutes later.

Jack Clarke and Branden Horton both went close to a third, as did Quigley and Ollie Banks, but two goals would be more than enough.

Interview with scorer Joe Quigley:

Buxton were denied at the death by Kettering Town at the Tarmac Silverlands Stadium in a 2-2 draw.

Andrew Oluwabori put Town ahead nine minutes in but two goals in four minutes from Serhat Tasdemir and Jason Gilchrist turned things around midway through the first-half.

Bucks keeper Theo Richardson produced several fine stops to keep the Poppies out but was finally beaten by Oluwabori again as the game entered stoppage time.

Interview with Bucks boss Jamie Vermiglio:

Alfreton Town, meanwhile, were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Hereford having taken the lead seven minutes in through Bailey Hobson's good finish.

But the visitors levelled on 25 through Ryan McLean to earn a share of the points.

Interview with Reds boss Billy Heath:

The Emirates FA Cup saw six of our clubs in action in the first qualifying round.

Two of them played each other, with Ilkeston Town 2-0 winners at managerless Matlock Town as the Robins earned their first win of the season.

Montel Gibson put the Robins ahead just after the hour mark following a mix-up in the Matlock defence, then Remaye Campbell doubled the lead four minutes later after good work from Declan Eratt-Thompson.

Remaye Campbell celebrates scoring Ilkeston's second goal. Photo by Craig Lamont.

Long Eaton United enjoyed a superb win at Hednesford Town, who play at the level above, as Ian Deakin's men won 3-1 in the West Midlands.

Jack Rogers and Micah Jebbison scored in the opening 11 minutes to put United two up, before Rogers scored again straight after half-time. Leroy Lita's late consolation was all Hednesford could muster.

Match highlights:

Reaction from Ian Deakin and Jack Rogers:

Glossop North End were beaten 2-1 at Liversedge despite Kieran Mulvey's goal back on the hour mark following the hosts taking a two-goal half-time lead.

Mickleover were also knocked out as they threw away a two-goal lead earned due to goals from Ethan Mann and Ryan Wilson, Alvechurch bouncing back with three second-half goals to turn the tie around.

There was also disappointment for Belper Town as despite leading through Alex Peterson's first-half strike, Nuneaton Borough scored three second-half goals to progress through.

In the NPL Midlands, Gresley Rovers were beaten 2-0 at home by Sporting Khalsa in a rearranged game, with the sides playing each other again in the return fixture on Tuesday night.

It was a tough day at the office for Belper United in the UCL Premier North, beaten 5-1 at home by Quorn with Martin Smyth's goal all they could offer.

Heanor Town, meanwhile, drew 3-3 at home with AFC Mansfield in a game that saw three penalties converted, Jamie Sleigh with one of them for the Lions who also registered through an own goal and Lewis Rourke.