• Bradley White

REPORT: Long Eaton smash seven to make it four out of four

James Shaw Scored twice as Long Eaton United thrashed Heather St. John’s 7-2 at Grange Park on Tuesday evening.

James Taylor gave Long Eaton the lead before Cameron Collins equalised. James Spruce fired the visitors in front, but Romaine Graham levelled the scores going into the break.

A dramatic second half then saw Kieran Walker, Alex Marshall, James Shaw and Jude Brittain score to provide the Blues with a fourth consecutive league win.

One change was made to the side that beat Gresley Rovers 5-1 at the weekend. Marcus Coombs made his first start of the season in goal as Sam Wilson was unavailable due to work commitments.

The Blues kicked the game off and began on the front foot, a long-range effort from Brad Wilson forced James Beeson to parry the ball down to Marshall, although the striker was in an offside position.

Long Eaton continued to press and hold the visitors in their own half and Taylor gave the Blues an early lead in the seventh minute. Marshall’s header struck the bar and fell for Taylor to slot home at the back post.

Just five minutes later the Saints equalised. Graham gave away a free kick from 25 yards out which Collins curled around the wall into the bottom right corner to level the scores.

Spruce then gave Heather St. John’s the lead in the 22nd minute with another shot placed into the bottom corner, just out of Coombs' reach, this time from close range.

In the 32nd minute Graham equalised for the Blues. Kieran Walker’s long throw-in was nodded goalwards by Robinson, stopped on the line by Beeson and poached inside the congested goalmouth by the skipper.

Coombs made a brilliant reaction save to keep Long Eaton in the competition after Daniel Hanson’s shot took a strong deflection and looked to be a certain goal.

The second half was cagey to begin with, but after 15 minutes the Blues took control. Kieran Walker blasted a shot from the edge of the area which was too powerful for Beeson to stop and the Saints’ goalkeeper fumbled it across the line.

Two minutes later Marshall got on the end of Jamie Walker’s through ball, muscled his way past the last defender and knocked the ball past the goalkeeper to double the lead.

Another three minutes passed and the Blues were three goals in front, this time Jamie Walker backheeled the ball to substitute James Shaw who picked out the top corner with a thunderous strike.

Jamie Walker had the chance to get his name on the scoresheet with ten minutes to go after Brittain was hacked down in the area and a penalty was awarded. Beeson denied Walker with a diving save, although Shaw was quick on his feet and tapped in the rebound.

In the final minute Wilson raced past the defence, was brought down and another spot kick was awarded. This time Brittain stepped up to the 12-yard mark and tucked the ball way with a perfectly placed penalty to wrap up the match.

By Bradley White