• Ally Layton

REPORT/HIGHLIGHTS: Glossop secure first win of the season

Glossop North End notched their first win and first goals of the season on Tuesday night with victory over Cleethorpes Town.

A cagey first half left much to be desired for the 254 fans inside the Amdec Stadium. Both teams had fleeting chances at goal but looked reluctant to let shots fly. The game seldom left the middle third of the pitch and open, flowing play was not the order of the day.

Cleethorpes looked the more likely to score early on, a notable meandering run from Josh Venney yielded no end-product, with him squaring it to Caine Winfarrah who couldn’t get a shot through a well-organised Glossop defence.

Alfons Fosu-Mensah nets the winner. Photo: Steve Dyson

Cleethorpes maintained their pressing game, consistently looking dangerous, Tim Lowe firing wide on 22 minutes.

Glossop’s first real sniff of goal came 34 minutes in, with Harry Middleton, the Cleethorpes centre half, caught in possession lazily. Kyle Hawley capitalised, dribbling the ball tidily from just past the centre circle to the edge of the D. He squared it to an eager Alfons Fosu-Mensah who struggled to get into the box and had to settle for a blocked shot from 25 yards.

The deadlock was broken just before half-time, with Cleethorpes' clever passing once more opening up the Glossop back line. Again, from a throw-in routine, the men in Yellow completed a succession of one touch passes, ultimately freeing Ross Hannah behind Lee Wilshaw. Hannah crossed a low, hopeful ball to the back post where captain Scott Vernon met it with outstretched right foot from four yards.

Going one down appeared to be the boost that Glossop Needed and they finished the first half strongly with Hawley looking dangerous. A low, driven shot to the right-hand side of the goal required a diving save.

The second half started fruitfully as Glossop’s first attack yielded their first goal. A counter attack saw Hawley pick the ball up on the halfway line and he passed it to an advancing Jordyn Fitton who sent a hopeful long cross into the Cleethorpes box. The ball fell short of the near post and fell to Hawley who in turn found Bevan Burey and his pass-come-shot was helped into the net by Cleethorpes centre-half Harry Middleton.

Cleethorpes almost went back in front on 56 minutes, Vernon's powerful shot tipped over the bar by keeper Dale Latham.

With 20 minutes remaining, Moses Yoak hoofed the ball out of the Glossop half and up towards a dangerous looking Hawley, who controlled it well and carried it towards the edge of the box. He passed it to Fosu-Mensah just outside the box, The Dutch striker moved from left to right, creating space on the edge of the box before cutting inside on his right foot and letting fly with a low, driven shot into the bottom right-hand corner.

Burey saw red for two quick bookings late on, while Cleethorpes' Lowe was also red carded for dissent in injury time as Glossop held on under late pressure to take the points.

By Ally Layton

**Glossop followed the victory up with a 0-0 draw at home to Newcastle Town on Tuesday night. This weekend they host Belper Town before visiting Worksop Town on Tuesday (6th)