• Peter Scherer

Mickleover go top after hammering Nantwich

Mickleover extended their unbeaten run to seven as they tore the previously unbeaten Nantwich Town apart for a dominant 4-0 victory - putting them top of the table going into the enforced break for lockdown.

The hosts could easily have gone one up in the third minute when Callum Hawkins called for the ball but Andrew Wright’s back pass fell short and was collected by Scott McGowan whose shot was just wide.

McGowan saw another effort saved by Hawkins soon afterwards before Sports' Stuart Beavon forced a save out of Nantwich keeper Greg Hall and then saw another shot pushed wide for a corner.

But Sports only had to wait another minute, as following a well saved header from Beavon, sustained attacking and a crowded box combined for the ball to break left to Phill Watt, who slid the ball past Hall into the right hand corner 1-0.

Mason Warren went close to a second, as did Beavon whose shot was deflected onto the left hand post by Hall. Two minutes later Paddy Webb lobbed over when one on one with the keeper.

There could also easily have been a second goal for Mickleover when George Milner’s shot in the 32nd whistled across the front of the goal and out just wide of the right hand post.

With Nantwich pushing for an equaliser before half time, they left themselves wide open at the back and Beavon found space again on the left and had his shot saved, after a longer spell of Nantwich pressure, but Sports led at the break.

Mickleover celebrate scoring at Nantwich. Photo: Mickleover FC

The second goal soon arrived after the interval with Milner again the creator. His strong run put Jake Bennett through, who placed a firmly shot into the back of the net from the right.

Only a minute later Wright spied an opening in the Dabbers defence and fired in one of his signature rockets which was partially blocked on its way over the bar.

Nantwich were in the game more, but still unable to create much, as Watt and Butler stayed solid in the centre of defence, with Bennett and Morris covering the wings.

Just after the hour mark another good run from Wright found Beavon, and his cross from the right found Webb unmarked and with time, before firing past Hall for 3-0.

Sports' attack was firing on all cylinders and after 74 minutes a Warren chip was easily saved, before Webb broke with Milner and Morris waiting in the box, but put in a weak shot himself, easily saved.

The win was rounded off with six minutes to go, as Milner found sub Anam Verma and he made no mistake to make it four.