• Peter Scherer

Mickleover ease past Robins to seal first away win

Mickleover secured their first away win of the season in the Northern Premier League, with a comfortable 3-0 win over Ashton United on Saturday.

Mickleover went into full attack mode from the kick off, with Paddy Webb’s left foot cross almost finding Stuart Beavon in the box in the first two minutes. Three minutes later the roles were reversed, as Beavon put Webb through, but his shot was easily taken by Ashton’s keeper Dan Eccles.

Six minutes in and Sports had a corner from which James Butler rose above the home side's defence to head in for 1-0 to Mickleover.

Bennett was the next to go close, with another header from a testing cross after 11 minutes, before play suddenly changed ends and Ashton had a great chance to equalise, when centre back Joel Bembo-Leta was alone on the far post and failed to make contact with the ball.

They soon rued their missed chance as after Dec Bacon played Webb through and his shot was again saved by Eccles, Beavon made it 2-0 on 16 minutes, with a giant leap to send his header deep into the left hand corner of the Ashton net.

After further two minutes George Milner almost got a third goal, when his attempt found its way through a host of legs to go just wide of the post.

Action from Ashton (in red) against Mickleover. Photo: Ashton United FC

Mickleover keeper Callum Hawkins had a rare touch when he saved a tame free kick from Millenic Alli, before Mickleover's Andrew Wright had his first crack at goal after 33 minutes, just wide of the top left hand corner.

Then Ashton’s Chris Rowney sent a powerful shot just wide of Hawkins' top left hand corner five minutes later.

Into the second half and it was more of the same as Bacon scuffed an early shot after a pass from Webb and Eccles found himself tested again after 48 minutes by another effort from Webb.

Just after Milner had been yellow carded for a push, Sports were actively seeking a third goal and Jake Bennett provided it with a jinking run into to the heart of the Ashton defence, crashing the ball home from an ever tightening angle after 61 minutes for 3-0.

Three minutes later there was almost a fourth when a poor clearance from Eccles rebounded to Beavon, who then hit the post with his reflex shot.

After Sports' keeper had to tip an Ashton shot over, James Walshaw then came on for Beavon and just missed out on a fourth goal for Mickleover when he failed to connect with a Webb cross with four minutes left.

So the whistle went for a positive 3-0 win, which moves Mickleover into sixth place in the table, with Tuesday nights visit to Buxton to look forward to.