• Peter Scherer

Mickleover bounce back with win over Hyde

NPL Premier

Mickleover Sports 3

Bacon 36, Bennett 38, Dales 53

Hyde United 2

Hardy 17, 60pen

Mickleover returned to winning ways at the Don Amott Arena with a 3-2 over Hyde United on Monday.

Mickleover were first on the attack with an Andy Dales and Stuart Beavon build up and a final shot from Dec Bacon just past the post.

Beavon shot just over from long range then Hyde's James Kingsley had a shot comfortably taken by Callum Hawkins after 15 minutes.

But two minutes later Hyde burst down their right wing, with both Alex Morris and Kemy Agustien failing to stop Harry Benns. Liam Hardy was clear and he fired the visitors into the lead.

Mickleover came straight back and Dempsey Arlott-John crossed from the right, leaving Bacon with almost half a chance, as his 20th minute effort was blocked.

Mickleover celebrate scoring against Hyde. Photo: Mickleover FC.

Dales had a shot blocked from just outside the box after 27 minutes, before a break from Hyde forced Hawkins into another save.

It was almost 2-0 after 31 minutes when James Butler cleared off the line with Hawkins under pressure, but Arlott-John was again causing problems for the Hyde defence.

After 34 minutes he got the ball into the box but no one collected and only a minute later he found Jake Bennett in the box, just wide to the right for shooting, but his effort was blocked by Hyde skipper Tom Pratt and out for a corner.

As in previous games Joe Bateman was looking strong both in and running out of defensive midfield. His piercing 37th minute through ball split the Hyde defence wide open. With Bacon on the receiving end it was 1-1, despite Hyde keeper Joe Green getting one hand to it.

Only two minutes later it was 2-1, after another Bateman, Arlott-John and Dales build up finding Bennett clear in front of goal, placing his shot nicely wide of Green.

Hawkins had another save to make before the half time whistle, before Arlott-John had his effort at the other end blocked.

Within the first minute of the second half Agustien let loose with a pile driver from just outside the area. It was wide, but very powerful.

Hyde were straight to the other end with a shot wide from Tongue too, as they continued to push forward again.

But with 54 minutes gone a lovely weighted cross from the left found Dales right in front of goal and he comfortably made it 3-1.

Dales came off straight after scoring, having taken a knock on his left ankle, with Bobby Battisson replacing.

The continuing push from Mickleover made the Hyde defence look rather fragile at times. Bennett found Battisson whose shot was just wide.

Just after Battisson had another try on goal, Hyde were awarded a penalty when Butler pushed Hardy in the back on the hour.

Hardy stepped up to take the kick and it was 3-2 with Hawkins guessing the wrong way.

The lead was almost restored within a couple of minutes but defender Roscoe came to the rescue, with a last ditch tackle on the pacey Arlott-John, earning another corner.

Beavon shot just wide of the post on 65 minutes, before Arlott-John battled his way through again despite having been on the ground in mid-run, but Beavon’s run was intercepted by keeper Green.

It was end to end and Bacon tried his luck from outside the box, with an effort high over the bar, while two minutes later Pratt’s attempt for Hyde was safely collected by Hawkins.

In almost the final kick of the game there was one final chance for Mickleover, when Battisson was barely inches away from intercepting a back pass from keeper Green.

So it was three points and a 100 per cent home record, as Mickleover look forward to two more games on the road. On Saturday it’s the FA Cup at Leek Town and next Tuesday Grantham Town in the NPL.