• Rob McNeil

Long Eaton's terrific start continues with win at Holbeach


Holbeach Utd 0

Long Eaton Utd 2

Jebbison 44

Hutchinson 87

Long Eaton made it five consecutive league wins and secured a spot at the top of the table with a 2-0 win at Holbeach United on Saturday.

Despite both sides registering numerous chances in the first half, it was Micah Jebbison that eventually broke the deadlock for the Blues with a strike minutes before the half-time whistle.

Ben Hutchinson then doubled Long Eaton’s lead late in the second half with a glancing header that put the game to bed and claimed all three points.

United were on the front foot in the opening minutes and looked most like scoring through balls into the box and the first chance came through Keiran Walker as he latched onto a Jamie Walker cross but could not keep his header down.

Five minutes later, it was Tom Marshall’s turn to swing a ball into the box and this time it was Alex Marshall that connected but even he thumped his header onto the crossbar.

The Blues’ next chance came midway through the first half and once again it came through a ball into the box – Keiran Walker’s long throw was met by the head of Mitchell Robinson, but the centre back could not hit the target, as his header venomously struck the crossbar and flew out of play.

Aaron Eyett had the Tigers' best chance to score in the 40th minute, when a whipped free-kick was sent back across the box by Alex Richardson for the forward to hit with a first-time volley that luckily flew over the bar and did not trouble Sam Wilson.

After a high-paced, physical first 44 minutes, the Blues finally opened the scoring through Jebbison. Keiran Walker caused havoc with his long throw-in once again, as it looped all the way to the feet of Jamie Walker at the far post and although the winger could not get a shot off himself, his deflected pass was converted from close range with a drilled shot under the keeper by Jebbison.

Micah Jebbison scores the opener. Photo: Long Eaton United.

Both sides came out in the second half looking to pile pressure on their opponents, but that made for quite a stalemate 15 minutes and it was not until the 62nd minute that another real chance came.

Holbeach, searching for an equaliser, came close, as Eyett swung a cross towards the penalty spot and Nick Jackson rose highest to glance towards goal, but the ball flew across the goal and out for a goal kick.

Jebbison had a chance to double the Blues’ lead mid-way through the second half – the forward was given too much time and space on the edge of the box and struck a curling effort towards the top right corner of the goal, but Ricky Drury was equal to it.

Danny Gordon looked to replicate his goal from the Emirates FA Cup on 78 minutes, when James Shaw gave the midfielder a bobbly lay-off on the edge of the box, in which Gordon struck with a side-footed half volley that pinged off the crossbar and was eventually cleared.

Holbeach were left distraught with only three minutes left to play, as all the Blues’ substitutes combined – Marley Fearon found Shaw down the right and the winger swung a pin-point cross into the box and onto the head of Hutchinson who simply guided the ball home with a glanced flick inside the far post.

That victory means that the Blues are yet to concede, lose or draw after five league games played and go straight to the top of the UCFL Premier Division North table.