• Bradley White

Long Eaton make Vase progress with fine win at Studley

Long Eaton United will face Stone Old Alleynians in the second round of the FA Vase after coming back from a goal down to beat Studley FC 4-1.

While it is not certain when the next round of the Buildbase FA Vase will be played, it is something for United to look forward to as play comes to a halt for ‘non-elite’ football until December 2.

Studley took the lead early in the first half, but four minutes later Danny Gordon brought the match level. After the break, an early own goal from Scott Turner gave Long Eaton the advantage, then substitutes James Taylor and James Shaw added to it in the final few minutes.

In the opening minutes of play, Studley’s direct style of football got the better of Long Eaton’s defence. A quick counterattack saw Harvey Smith played through on goal and the forward slotted the ball home, past Jake Askew, to give the hosts the lead in the eighth minute.

After conceding, Long Eaton pressed on and equalised just moments later. Blues’ top goalscorer Alex Marshall turned provider and threaded a perfect pass through to Gordon for a composed finish to the goalkeeper’s left.

Very few chances came for either side from that moment on. Tom Marshall got on the end of a classic Keiran Walker long throw-in, but the midfielder did not have a clear view of goal and his shot made for a routine catch from Conor McCarthy.

Long Eaton celebrate scoring at Studley. Photo: Long Eaton Utd FC

Marshall troubled McCarthy again with a powerful long-range effort, which took a hefty deflection and forced a makeshift diving save from the ‘keeper.

Studley squandered a solid chance to regain the lead in the 34th minute. Smith cut back on his left foot and played a beautiful cross to Mark Magee, who somehow managed to head the ball wide of the goal – the last clear-cut chance of the half.

Seconds into the second-half Long Eaton went in front via an own goal from Studley skipper Scott Turner after a dangerous cross-come-shot from Kameron Campbell.

Campbell was on the lookout for a goal of his own, the forward used his pace to get behind the defence but saw his shot stopped by a strong McCarthy save at the near post.

Charlie Wilde then snuck past Studley’s offside trap, although McCarthy was there again to stop the low struck shot from finding the far corner.

Twenty minutes into the final half of play, Ian Deakin introduced Taylor and Shaw from the Blues’ bench. The duo caused havoc for the home defence and Taylor scored his third goal of the season when he hit a rebound shot, which took a nasty deflection, past McCarthy.

In the 90th minute Shaw rounded off the scoring with a fantastic solo effort. From an Askew goal kick, Shaw beat his marker for strength, dribbled past the next Studley centre half and tucked the ball to McCarthy’s left.