• Bradley White

Long Eaton ease past Holbeach in FA Cup


Long Eaton United 4-1 Holbeach Utd

Long Eaton are through to the Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round after a comprehensive win against Holbeach United at Grange Park on Saturday.

They will now face Shepshed Dynamo at Grange Park in two weeks time in the next round of the competition.

Jordan Elston put the visitors ahead with a goal against the run of play in the 15th minute.

However, James Gale and Alex Marshall notched to turn the score around before half-time, then a strong performance from Long Eaton in the second-half saw Kameron Campbell extend the lead and Gale grab a second to put the result beyond doubt.

Ian Deakin named an unchanged starting 11 from the side that beat Selston 3-0 in the United Counties Football League opener on Tuesday. Bartosz Korzeniewski and Marcus Coombs came in to make up the sixth and seventh substitutes on the bench.

Kam Campbell gets a shot in against Holbeach. Photo: Long Eaton United

The Blues had several early chances as they started on the front foot. Keiran Walker's long throw-in was flicked on by Mitchell Robinson to Danny Gordon, although the midfielder could not find the target with a well-struck volley.

Another chance came Long Eaton's way as Gale picked out Campbell on the edge of the box - Campbell took the shot on, but it was struck right at the Holbeach goalkeeper Rick Drury and made for a routine stop.

Alex Marshall then got on the end of a through ball from Jamie Walker and clipped a cross-shot towards Campbell, which bounced just wide of the far post.

After 15 minutes played, the visitors hit Long Eaton on the counterattack. Sam Wilson made a big save with his chest to deny William Britton, which resulted in a corner. The subsequent set-piece fell to Elston, whose half-volley put the visitors ahead.

Despite this, the Blues kept their head up and continued to put pressure on the Holbeach goal. A barrage of long throw-ins from Keiran Walker gave Alex Marshall a chance to level it, but the centre forward headed the ball just over the bar.

Sam Parker began to press forward and trouble the visitors' defence with his crossing ability. His first effort was cleared by the head of Holbeach captain Nick Jackson.

Moments later Gale brought the match level in the 28th minute. A fantastic cross-field pass from Parker picked out Gale who dribbled past his marker and buried the ball into the bottom left corner.

In the 37th minute Alex Marshall put the Blues ahead, a goal which saw Long Eaton go into the break with a lead to defend. Parker's initial shot was blocked, Gale gathered the loose ball and dragged the effort wide, but Alex Marshall was ready at the far post to put away the poacher's goal.

Nine minutes after the restart Long Eaton found a third goal through Campbell. Jamie Walker picked out Parker down the left, who cut the ball back across for Campbell to hit home and double the lead.

Gale was hungry for goals and Drury made a great stop with an outstretched foot to momentarily deny the young midfielder his brace.

Aaron Eyett chased a goal for Holbeach, but from a tight angle, the forward dragged his shot wide of the target.

Gale then bagged his brace and rounded off the scoring in the 70th minute when Tom Marshall's cross deflected off Campbell and fell for Gale to thump past Drury at the back post to make it 4-1.