• Bradley White

Goal-happy Long Eaton dominate Dynamo in FA Cup

FA Cup Preliminary Round

Long Eaton Utd 4

Gale 18, A Marshall 70, Tuck 76og, Gordon 90+2

Shepshed Dynamo 0

Long Eaton United are through to the Emirates FA Cup First Round Qualifying after a 4-0 win against step four side Shepshed Dynamo.

In the first-half, James Gale put Long Eaton in front with his fourth goal of the season, then Alex Marshall doubled the lead in the 70th minute and an own goal from Dan Tuck made it three.

Never shy of an FA Cup goal, Danny Gordon put away the fourth of the match with a stylish strike in the 93rd minute – a finish which made this afternoon’s score a repeat of United's 2013/14 FA Cup Preliminary Round tie against the same opposition.

Kam Campbell on the ball for Long Eaton against Shepshed. Photo: Long Eaton United.

Ian Deakin made just one change to the starting eleven that beat Skegness Town 3-0 last weekend. Club captain Romaine Graham replaced the suspended Mitchell Robinson at centre half.

Shepshed started on the front foot and a great chance came early on as Matt Melbourne flicked the ball in behind the Blues’ defence and Tamar Clayton raced through on goal but, under pressure from Brad Wilson, Clayton was forced wide and Sam Wilson pounced on the ball to nullify the threat.

The visitors’ dominance in the first half was short lived and Long Eaton soon found their rhythm. After a deflected long-range effort from Gale, Tom Marshall’s in-swinging corner was headed down by Graham, although it was stopped on the line by Matty White.

After a period of sustained pressure from the Blues, Gale scored the opener after 17 minutes played. Alex Marshall threaded a great through ball to Gale, who poked the ball past White from close range.

Dynamo had a great chance to level it when Melbourne’s cross-shot struck the far post and bobbled to Josh Mundell, although the midfielder could not keep his effort down as it flew high and wide from an acute angle.

As the first-half concluded, Jamie Walker had a chance to double Long Eaton’s advantage. Kameron Campbell played the ball across to Walker who turned his marker and unleashed a venomous strike, which White pushed past the post with an outstretched palm.

Dynamo looked threatening after the break as Clayton, Tuck and Karl Demidh led the attack for the visitors. Despite sustained pressure, Shepshed did not trouble Sam Wilson thanks to tremendous defending from the back line and holding midfielder Gordon.

Long Eaton looked to counter-attack Shepshed’s high-press, and Alex Marshall doubled the advantage in the 70th minute. Hard-working fullback Brad Wilson won possession down the right wing and sent the ball forward to Tom Marshall, whose low cross in behind the defence was volleyed home by his brother for his fourth of the season.

A string of injuries took a toll on visitors as the match progressed and in the 74th minute a deflected goal from Long Eaton substitute Micah Jebbison made it 3-0. Jebbison caused problems for the Dynamo defence as soon as he stepped foot on the pitch and, played through by Campbell, his close-range shot deflected off Tuck and past the 'keeper for Long Eaton's third goal of the match.

It looked as though the match had run its course as the final few minutes of added time ticked away, but a late strike from inside the box was rifled into the top corner by Gordon and put the icing on the cake for the Blues.