• DerbyshireFootball

Buxton reach FA Cup first round for the first time since 1962


Buxton 3

Milnes 73, De Girolamo 96, 109

Kettering Town 1

Perry 58

Buxton will travel to York City in the FA Cup first round proper after overcoming National League South side Kettering Town in a replay on Tuesday night.

After last weekend's 2-2 draw in Northamptonshire forced a replay thanks to Diego De Girolamo's late equaliser from the penalty spot, the same player proved the difference with two extra-time goals to take Gary Hayward's men through in front of over 1,000 spectators at the Tarmac Silverlands Stadium.

They had to do it the hard way once again, falling behind on 58 minutes to Kyle Perry's header from an Alex Brown cross, the hosts convinced the ball had gone out of play prior to Perry nodding the ball home.

But Buxton levelled on 73 minutes as Ben Milnes as De Girolamo's low cross was turned into the net.

Buxton boss Gary Hayward. Photo: Buxton Advertiser.

That forced extra-time and the Bucks led six minutes into the added half-hour, De Girolamo cutting in and firing home another fine effort.

Kettering's Harrison Neal then received his marching orders for two yellow cards to make the Poppies' task even harder, before a 12-minute stoppage due to the floodlights going out added to the drama.

After play resumed, De Girolamo rounded off the win after a quick free-kick from Milnes found the striker who netted his fourth goal of the tie overall to send the Bucks through.

Bucks boss Gary Hayward told the Buxton Advertiser: “It had everything - blood, sweat and tears.

“The lads keep impressing week in and week out, running themselves into the ground and playing great football.

“The management team couldn't be prouder of them. As for the fans, they were in full voice behind the players and became our 12th man.

“From top to bottom, everyone involved is part of the journey so far.”

Club chairman David Hopkins added: “To see so many Buxton fans turn out in support of the team was amazing.

“Once again the players were outstanding and gave our fans a night to remember. It was particularly heart-warming to see the pleasure given to our older supporters who have waited 59 years for us to reach the first round proper.

“We would encourage all those who must have enjoyed last night's game to continue coming to support the lads on what is proving to be an outstanding season in both league and cup.”