• Ethan Thatcher

Belper's unbeaten run ends at the hands of Coleshill

Belper Town 0

Coleshill Town 2

Tonge 30, 75

Belper Town saw their unbeaten home record ended on Tuesday night as two goals from Kai Tonge meant Coleshill Town ran out 2-0 winners.

Belper had looked to transform the Raygar Stadium into a fortress this season with the Nailers yet to lose at home since October 2019, albeit with fewer games played due to the pandemic.

They started this game full of energy and were unfortunate not to find themselves ahead in the opening minute.

Jon Margetts goes down under a challenge in the area but the referee waves play on. Photo by Mike Smith.

A trademark Craig Nelthorpe cross found Jonny Margetts free in the centre of the box, only for the striker to glance his header narrowly wide of the target.

Belper continued to dominate the early periods of the game and were unlucky not to find themselves several goals up in the opening half hour.

Alex Peterson came closest for the hosts in the 25th minute after a pinpoint cross from Nelthorpe fell straight onto the striker’s head four yards out from goal, however he could only head his chance over the bar.

In the 30th minute the game was flipped on its head when Tonge curled a loose ball from the edge of the area into the far right corner of the goal, with a small bounce over Ollie Battersby’s hand being enough to beat the keeper.

Tonge was soon given an opportunity to double his goal tally for the day after the Colemen broke quickly from a Belper corner.

This resulted in the Nailers being short for numbers at the back and Tom Wilson giving away a dubious penalty. The goal scorer stepped up, but Battersby made a superb stop down to his left to deny the winger.

Belper started the second half in the same dominant fashion they ended the first.

Paul Hathaway had a sensational game in the Coleshill goal and denied Belper time and time again.

The Nailers had so many set pieces they had to start getting creative. That’s exactly what happened in the 58th minute after a short corner found Nelthorpe with some space to produce a deep cross which met Tom Wilson at the back post, unfortunately for him the keeper sprung into life and managed to catch his powerful header.

The hosts had to do something special to break down the stubborn Coleshill defence, so they made several changes in the hope of a goal.

Substitute Nathan Curtis was so nearly the man to make the difference after he produced a sensational deep cross from the right wing which found Peterson in the middle of the box; but again the keeper was equal to it and pushed the ball away.

The game was put to bed in the 75th minute when Tonge produced a moment of magic to undo all of Belper’s hard work.

The winger picked up the ball deep on the right flank, he managed to beat a man, cut onto his left foot and smash the ball into the top left corner leaving the keeper helpless.

In the 90th minute tempers flared after Corey Gregory was forced to the ground, yet it was not deemed a foul and in fact was given the other way.

As a result, tempers flared between both set of players and that just about summed up Belper’s night.

Belper Town: Battersby, Woodcock (Curtis 50), Kozluk, Bertram, South, Wilson, Litchfield (Reeves 86), Gregory , Peterson (Mancinelli 70), Margetts, Nelthorpe. Unused subs: Jordan, Johnson.

Coleshill Town: Hathaway, Mansell, Hendrickson, Doyle, Palmer, Donnelly, Tonge (Marrison 86), Willis, Moore (Washbourne 67), Phillips (Walker 67), Sandhu. Unused subs: Lynch, Olongo-Akila.

Referee: Thomas Hales

Attendance: 259