• DerbyshireFootball

Bank Holiday weekend round-up: Summary of all the action

It's been a busy Bank Holiday weekend for Derbyshire's clubs, most of whom had to play two games in 48 hours as the season continued to get into full swing.


Derby County left it late as they overcame ten-man Peterborough United at Pride Park on Saturday.

Sub David McGoldrick scored the the 92nd minute winner to seal all three points, that after Josh Knight had put Peterborough ahead early in the second-half.

Posh's Nathan Thompson was then sent off before Jason Knight levelled on 88 minutes and McGoldrick stepped up with the winner.


Chesterfield were live on TV on Friday night and ran out 3-1 winners at home to Barnet.

They led just two minutes in thanks to Ollie Banks who scored after Jamie Grimes' header had been cleared off the line.

Sean Shields' powerful strike levelled things up on 16 minutes, but Akwasi Asante put Spireites back in front just after the half-hour and Kabongo Tshimanga made it three in the second-half.


In the National League North, Buxton were stunned by late comeback at home to Blyth Spartans.

Jason Gilchrist had given the Bucks the lead just before half-time, but after Alex Nicholson levelled things up on 87 minutes, he then netted the winner from the penalty spot with a minute left to complete the turnaround.

Manager Jamie Vermiglio's thoughts:

Alfreton Town, meanwhile, won 3-1 at Kettering Town - Dayle Southwell's strike putting them in front on eight minutes.

Sam Bennett levelled things up but two goals in five second-half minutes, from Bailey Hobson and Tom Denton, sealed the points for Billy Heath's men.

Reaction from Heath:

In the Pitching In SPL Central, Montel Gibson's equaliser gave Ilkeston Town a 1-1 draw at Rushden & Diamonds who had led just before half-time thanks to Conor Tee's strike.

Mickleover, meanwhile, enjoyed a late turnaround to beat St Ives Town 3-2, as having been 2-1 down with six minutes to go thanks to Jonathan Edwards strikes, Marcus Marshall levelled and then Rhys Dolan got the stoppage time winner to add to Stuart Beavon's first-half strike.

In the NPL Premier, Alex Wiles netted the Matlock Town winner in their 1-0 success at Atherton Collieries, but it was a bad day for Belper Town as they were humbled 5-0 at home by Warrington Rylands.

In NPL Division One East, Long Eaton came from behind with three goals in ten minutes from Jermain Hollis, Ben Hutchinson and Jamie Walker seeing them beat North Shields.


In NPL Division One Midlands, Albert Lansdowne's equaliser earned Gresley Rovers a 1-1 draw at Stamford, while Glossop North End fell to a 1-0 defeat at Kidsgrove Athletic in Division One West.

Belper United were beaten 2-1 at Newark & Sherwood United in the UCL Premier North despite Ally Brown's goal.

In the FA Vase, Heanor Town's dreams ended at the first hurdle with a defeat on penalties at home to Deeping Rangers following a 1-1 draw, Marley Fearon with the Lions goal in the first-half.


Chesterfield made it a memorable weekend as they won 2-1 at Altrincham in the National League to top of the table.

The hosts broke the deadlock the stroke of half-time as Toby Mullarkey got on the end of a knockdown inside the box to fire the Robins ahead.

Tyrone Williams headed in the equaliser just after half-time, before setting up Kabongo Tshimanga to score from close range five minutes later.

In National League North, Buxton went ahead at AFC Telford United through Sean Newton on 43 minutes, but within 60 seconds the hosts levelled through Brendan Daniels to earn a 1-1 draw.

Reaction from Bucks boss Jamie Vermiglio:

Alfreton Town were beaten 2-0 at home by Chorley who struck twice in the last 12 minutes through Jonathan Ustabasi and Ollie Shenton.

Reaction from Reds boss Billy Heath:

Ilkeston Town failed to get going at home to Mickleover and found themselves 3-0 down inside an hour thanks to goals from former Robins Elliott Reeves (2) and Rhys Dolan.

Marshall Willock turned in Montel Gibson's volley with 16 minutes left before Gibson's long-range stunner reduced the arrears further with ten minutes left, but Sports held on.

Chris O'Grady on the ball for Ilkeston at home to Mickleover. Photo by Craig Lamont.

Matlock Town had to wait until the fifth minute of stoppage time to earn a 1-1 draw at home to Gainsborough Trinity who had taken the lead through Liam Waldock's early strike, Al Byrne with the dramatic goal to earn the Gladiators a point.

Matlock boss Paul Phillips' post-match reaction:

Belper Town recovered from Saturday's loss with a fine 2-1 win at Hednesford Town.

Luke Mangham put the Nailers ahead on 26 minutes but Tom Tonks levelled before the break.

Alex Peterson then netted Belper's winner on 68 to seal their first win of the season.

Long Eaton were, on the other hand, on the end of their first defeat of the campaign as they lost 2-0 at Carlton Town in NPL Division One East, Brad Wells and Aaron Opoku with the goals.

Reaction from United boss Ian Deakin:

Niall Towle hit a late winner from the penalty spot with five minutes to go to earn Gresley Rovers victory over Boldmere St Michaels in NPL Midlands, while Glossop North End were held 0-0 at home by Trafford.

Belper United fell to a 2-1 loss at home to Kimberley Miners Welfare in UCL Premier North, despite Alex Bernard putting them in front on 23 minutes.