• Amar Sharma

Alfreton's home run ends as Brackley take the points

Alfreton Town were beaten for the first time at the Impact Arena as the Reds succumbed to back to back league defeats, with Brackley claiming all three points in a deserved win on Tuesday night.

The Reds lacked the cutting edge in front of goal and created half chances rather than substantial openings and were hit by a Tre Mitford header in the first-half before Shane Byrne scored direct from a corner mid-way through the second period.

The game started tightly with the Reds keeping their shape and staying organised, while Brackley were moving the ball well and had neat interchanges within the midfield.

Alfreton had their first attacking moment when Elliott Reeves found Nicky Walker on the left side of the box but his shot was saved by keeper Alastair Worby at the near post.

Walker then fired way over the bar after cutting inside as Alfreton had a few testing efforts, Connor Branson going close following a corner soon afterwards.

However, Brackley took the lead on 42 minutes when a cross from the left was headed in unmarked at the near post by Mitford.

It was a half of very few clear openings but the Saints took virtually their only clear cut chance to take the lead.

The second-half saw Brackley have far more attacking moments, Byrne had a header cleared away before James Jones blocked a shot on the edge of the area. The Saints came close to a second following a corner which caused a scramble at the far post.

Branson had a shot deflected over the bar with the resulting corner seeing a Jones header lack direction at the far post. Walker and Worby then challenged for the ball inside the box with Walker appearing to get there first but the brief penalty claims were waved away.

With 70 gone, it was 2-0. The Saints were awarded a corner which Byrne scored directly from, the ball going over Willis and hitting the underside of the bar for what was an incredible goal for the visitors.

Alfreton struggled to create in the final ten minutes, Jones' flicked header forcing Worby into a save late on with the Reds' best moment.

Brackley were full value for the win and created the better openings in the game and the more frequent chances to leave the Reds lacking the cutting edge in the final third.

Alfreton will need to roll their sleeves up and look for a return to form as they welcome Farsley Celtic to the Impact Arena behind closed doors on Saturday.

Kick off is 3pm with the game live on ATFCTV.

ATFCXI: Willis, Atkinson, Fox, Branson, Lees, Jones, Smith, Bradley (c), Reeves (Day 56), Walker, Johnson (Clackstone 63).

Subs Not Used: Lund, Unwin-Marris, Williams.