• DerbyshireFootball

Alfreton blow three-goal lead to lose at Leamington

Alfreton Town blew a comfortable three-goal half-time lead to lose 4-3 at Leamington on Tuesday night.

The hosts struck twice in the last four minutes to complete a stunning turnaround, having initially been behind just 20 seconds into the game.

That was how long had been played when Alfreton’s Nathan Fox found space on the left and his cross was headed in by Jake Day for his second in as many games.

And things got better before five minutes were on the clock. Day was at the heart of things again as he was fouled in the penalty area from Elliott Reeves’ knock down – Day then taking the spot kick himself and finding the net to double the lead.

Leamington responded with Lance Smith firing wide, then Alfreton’s Josh Clackstone saw a header saved well low down by home keeper Jake Weaver.

But on 21 minutes, it would be Alfreton on target again. This time, Dan Bradley found Reeves in the penalty area and he found the corner of the net to increase the lead.

Leamington were creating little, Jack Edwards’ header well wide on 38 minutes, then Day put an effort just wide for the Reds right on the stroke of half-time.

Nine minutes into the second-half, Leamington pulled a goal back as Sam Osborne’s deflected free-kick found the net.

Danny Waldron then saw an effort well saved by George Willis as the hosts continued to battle back, their second goal coming on 68 minutes as Osborne dinked the ball over the Reds keeper to close the gap to one goal.

Leamington were on the rampage in their search for an equaliser, Osborne forcing Willis into another save as his header was tipped over.

And the leveller came with four minutes to go, as Smith bundled the ball in from close range following a corner.

The hosts, however, weren’t done, and won the game in the 90th minute to complete a stunning comeback as Edwards arrived with a diving header to convert a cross from the left and the points, remarkably, belonged to Leamington.